Update 11.06.20 - please see letter from Spelthorne Secondary Heads
Dear Year 6 Parents and Students
A very warm welcome to The Matthew Arnold School!
The transition between primary school and secondary school is an extremely important one which we take very seriously. It is a priority for us that any new students joining the school feel supported, cared for and able to succeed. We will do everything we can to make the change of schools as easy as possible for every student.
Please be aware that while the country is in lockdown because of the coronavirus, many of these arrangements will be subject to change. We will be keeping parents up to date as soon as we have any concrete information, but invite you to call the school on 01784 457275 or email Mr Scott, our transition lead, if you are feeling concerned.
- We visit all our year 6 students in their primary schools so we are ready to support them fully when they arrive at secondary school.
- We hold a two-day induction programme (Tuesday 30th June 2020 and Wednesday 1st July 2020) for all our new students, and use this time for team-building activities, experiencing lessons and familiarisation of the school.
- We hold a special morning for students in the autumn term before all the older children come back.
- We have a buddy mentoring system for all new year 7 students with our year 11 prefects and other trained students in the upper school.
- Our dedicated team of learning mentors works with vulnerable students by offering early experience of the school during the summer term prior to them joining the following September. This might be because your child has special educational needs or disabilities, it might be that he or she has recently been going through a difficult time, or it might simply be that the thought of a new, much bigger school is too much to cope with.