Our vision is to enable our students to develop into confident young adults with the skills, values and learning that will give them choices in life. We want them to be able to live happily, independently and believe in themselves so they feel part of a community, understand how to be good citizens and contribute to society.
At The West Molesey Centre, we take pride in the fact that each of our young people are unique and have their own personal context and challenges. Since these challenges can affect their emotional and mental wellbeing, we believe the curriculum we offer will provide more opportunities to access learning within the appropriate environment, to help develop interest and aspirations for their futures.
Our curriculum is broad and balanced, allows deep learning and the opportunity to embed a wide range of skills both inside and outside of the classroom. Most importantly, our lessons are adapted to the needs of our young people and incorporate skills for life.
The curriculum is designed so that it:
- Is sequenced according to students’ individual needs, their starting points and their long term goals
- Develops learning that is stimulating, challenging, motivating, rewarding, fun and enjoyable - which encourages high levels of achievement both academically and personally
- Promotes students’ social interaction and enables students to communicate effectively
- Allows students to develop self confidence and self-esteem through a variety of positive experiences
- Recognises and fosters individual abilities by personalising learning
- Encourages and enables students to express preferences, communicate needs, make thoughtful choices and decisions, and be able to reflect upon these
- Teaches students an awareness of their environment and the world by developing a healthy and safe lifestyle, developing good relationships and respecting differences between people and preparing them for the future.
Below are links to each subject's statement of curriculum intent: