At The Matthew Arnold School, we believe the school uniform achieves three important goals:
- It encourages a sense of community identity and pride. By wearing the same badge and the same clothing, pupils are encouraged to think of the needs of the community as well as their own individual needs.
- It encourages our pupils to develop habits for life. By learning to polish their shoes, fold trousers or hang up their blazers, pupils learn the habits of discipline and personal responsibility that will stay with them for life.
- It prevents unkindness or bullying while keeping costs down.
By requiring all our pupils to wear the same uniform, we reduce the incentive for pupils to ask parents for the latest (and most expensive) items of fashion. As a result, costs are kept as low as possible and no child can be seen to be poorer or wealthier than any other. However, for our uniform policy to be successful, it must be implemented universally and without exception. Our parents understand this and so support us at home to uphold the school’s high standards.
All items of clothing (including bags) must be clearly marked with the pupil’s full name. Sew-on labels are preferable to iron-on labels and black permanent markers may be used but names should be written large and clear.
Should there be any questions as to what acceptable school uniform is please contact the school to check before purchase.
We are introducing some changes to the school uniform which we hope will reflect the cooler, cleaner lines of the new building. The change to the PE kits from the old yellow and green to navy blue and white has been a visual success - popular with children, staff and visiting sports teams.
There are three changes to the main uniform:
- A new tie
- A new jumper (optional)
- A new skirt (available in two lengths)
All items can be purchased from School Uniform Direct.
As always, children who wear incorrect uniform or who choose to wear it incorrectly will be sanctioned and may be sent home to change. The full list (the word 'school' alongside the item means it can only be purchased from SUD) is:
- School blazer (required)
- White shirt with buttons to the collar (long or short sleeves)
- School skirt, tailored black trousers or tailored black shorts
- School tie (required)
- Plain black ankle or knee-high socks, or plain black tights
- Black leather/smart shoes (required)
- School jumper (optional)
- An outdoor coat as necessary. This must not be a hoodie.
PE kit (to be worn to school on PE days):
- School blazer (required)
- School PE shirt (new design if purchasing)
- School PE shorts (new design if purchasing)
- School PE socks only (new design if purchasing)
- School PE top (optional - new design only)
- School PE leggings (optional - new design only)
- School PE bottoms (optional - new design only)
- Trainers (required)