Subjects

Back

Health, Sport and Nutrition

Students follow a two year Key Stage 3 curriculum in Physical Education. Throughout the year students are taught a range of practical sports and once a term students have a two week block of theory lessons where they learn about each of the body systems, health and nutrition.

As students’ progress on to the three year GCSE course they can choose to study GCSE Physical Education, BTEC L1/L2 Tech Award in Health and Social Care or WJEC L1/L2 Hospitality and Catering.

Key Stage 3

In Y7 and Y8 students are taught and participate in a range of practical activities including; handball, fitness, cross-country, netball, dance, football, rugby, basketball, cricket, rounders, athletics, hockey, badminton, gymnastics and softball. Theory content includes; the four body systems (muscular, skeletal, cardiovascular and respiratory system), components of fitness, a balanced diet and lifestyle choices. 

Key Stage 4

GCSE PE is suitable for students who love PE and would like to pursue a career within the sports industry. In KS4 students have 5 hours of GCSE PE every 2 weeks; three theory lessons and two practical. During their practical lessons, students will participate in a variety of sports and will build upon the skills they learnt in KS3. During their theory lessons they will build upon the theoretical knowledge learnt in KS3 and learn a variety of new topics. Topics include; applied anatomy and physiology, health and performance, sports psychology, socio-cultural influences and the use of data.

At the end of the qualification, students will be assessed in their three strongest sports - 1 individual, 1 team and a sport of their choice, each worth 10%. They will complete two written exams, worth 60% and a personal exercise programme in Y10, worth 10%.

 

 

The BTEC Health and Social qualification is ideal for students wishing to pursue a career as a midwife, doctor, nurse, childminder or any other job in the Health and Social Care sector. They will study three units over the three years. This includes two coursework units (Human lifespan development and Health and Social Care Services and Values) each worth 30% and an externally assessed unit (Health and Wellbeing) worth 40%. As part of their coursework, students gain some practical experience in the health and social care sector and visit a local primary school and care home.

 

If students choose to study the L1/L2 Hospitality and Catering they will study two units; Unit 1 – The Hospitality and Catering Industry and Unit 2 – Hospitality and Catering in Action. 60% of this course is internally assessed through written and practical coursework and the other 40% is an external 1 hour 30 minute written exam. Students who achieve this qualification could go on to study the following Level 3 qualifications; Advanced GCE in Design and Technology: Food Technology, Advanced GCE in Home Economics (Food, Nutrition and Health), Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cooking), Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles or Professional Cookery Studies

Useful links

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

×